Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:26:08 -0400
For USD $3500, that seems a bit risky for me, although I would like to see
one in person to more closely inspect component quality, machining, circuit
layout, etc.  In that price range, there's quite a bit of competition.

Another issue pertains to FCC Certification.  CFR Sec 2.815 and 97.315
address amplifier certification, including those that are imported.  But
what's strikingly odd, is the wording under Sec 97.315(b)(3) since 11/2006:

http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2010/97/315/

97.315(b)(3) read together with Sec 2.815 seems to dismiss the certification
requirement provided that an "external RF power amplifier manufactured or
imported for the amateur service is...sold to an amateur radio operator or
to a dealer, the amplifier is purchased in used condition by a dealer, or
the amplifier is sold to an amateur radio operator for use at that
operator's station."

That's the first time I've really examined that section of 97.315 since it
was last revised on November, 15, 2006.  2.815 was concurrently changed
pertaining to 10m operation, but 97.315(b)(3) is a real surprise as
currently written.   I have to believe the wording did not end up exactly as
planned.  Otherwise, we've got a logical contradiction in the intent of the
rule.

Paul, W9AC