Re: [Amps] Using automatic tuner for Amp input

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using automatic tuner for Amp input
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:05:05 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:15:30 -0400, "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
wrote:

>You can make it work as long as you shunt the input of the amplifier with a
>capacitor with a reactance of 1/4 or less of the input impedance. This will
>provide the charge storage needed to smooth out the sinusoidal wave from and
>the antenna tuner will still match the impedance. I prefer a Q of 10 or better
>myself but if you chose 1/4 for 80 meters you will have a Q of 4 on 80 meters
>and on 10 meters it will be 32 with out switching capacitors.

REPLY:

Excellent suggestion, Bill. I purchased an LDG autotuner years ago
just  for that purpose but never used it after thinking about the Q it
provided. Yes, it matched impedances ok but I was not sure if it
proveded enough Q and I didn't really have any way to test it in
action. I think you may have the answer.

In the meantime, I built my amp without it, so it's for sale if anyone
wants it. Brand new, never used but a bit dusty.  :-)   $50 including
shipping in the US.

73, Bill W6WRT