Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 93, Issue 11

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 93, Issue 11
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:23:11 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:45:38 +0200, Marius Hauki
<rezycle.bin@gmail.com> wrote:

>If the back to
>back diode combination should become open circuit (in case of a very
>large glitch) and someone (not me) then removes Bminus before Bplus,
>there is no return current via the chassis path to Bminus. This would
>place the RF deck at Bpluss.

REPLY:

Correct, however in my experience diodes in normal operation always
fail in the shorted mode rather than open. A truly large glitch such
as a lightning strike might cause them to open of course, so I also
recommend a heavy gauge ground wire be connected between the amp
chassis  and PS chassis. This wire is a good idea regardless of what
other protective citcuits are used.

You could make this ground wire a part of the power-on circuit so that
AC power can not be applied to the PS unless the ground wire is
intact.

Bill, W6WRT