Re: [Amps] Possible issue with B- run in wire with less than HV rating?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Possible issue with B- run in wire with less than HV rating? (Separate HV PSU and RF decks)
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:35:15 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:45:31 +0200, Marius Hauki
<rezycle.bin@gmail.com> wrote:

> The
>chassis to B- resistor has failed, for some reason and is open
>circuit.

<snip>

>Doesn this mean that we should also  use HV insulated wire on the B- ?

REPLY:

You should not be using a chassis to B- resistor. Use a pair of heavy
duty diodes instead, reverse connected. When the B+ to chassis arc
occurs they will place what is essentially a dead short from B+ to B-
and the fuses or breaker will blow.

Bill, W6WRT