Re: [Amps] Sourcing Sheet Aluminum

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sourcing Sheet Aluminum
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 02:03:06 -0400
  On 9/15/
>   at the end of shaping they heat treated them ,then the propertys of them
> are the one you describe Roger

Not the stuff we use in aircraft.  We start out with a given temper
(Usually 6061-T6) which may work harden, but rarely is any of it heat
treated after forming. Bulkheads, formers, stringers, and skins are not
heat treated after shaping, at least I don't know of any except small
parts that are not going to be subjected to heat.  Heat softens and
weakens most aluminum alloys. 6061 is the alloy.  RC It is subjected to
rolling or extruding to get to the T6 temper.

73

Roger (K8RI)