Re: [Amps] pulse tuning

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] pulse tuning
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:44:23 -0400
On 9/20/2010 7:58 AM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]
When tuning most of today's amps the best we come up with an
approximation of best tuning. It may be a very close approximation, but
it's highly unlikely "right on". Still, *usually* is good enough.  Few
amps have a PS with good enough regulation to properly tune at full
carrier. When you operate SSB and CW after tuning up at full carrier
your output will be higher than that for which you tuned.

>> ##  50% works good too.  Now, if you really want to load down the HV supply,
>> you can
>> increase the  duty cycle to well above 50%...like  60-90%.

I prefer the much shorter duty cycle,

> REPLY:
>
> Or best of all... toss the pulser and tune at 100%. A side benefit is
> you won't sound like a jammer.  :-)

I've never thought of them that way and it sure sounds better than
Ahhhhlllllllllllooooooooo...<whistle><whistle>. OTOH I use the antenna
analyzer to give R=50 X=0 for the amp, tune into the dummy load and
never put a tune up signal on the air any one can hear except my
neighbor.<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)