Re: [Amps] Tower Climber

To: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tower Climber
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:41:20 -0700
When I was in high school, I used to free climb one of the Portland towers,
which was 526 feet tall.  One night I talked my date into climbing the
tower, but she only got to 375 feet.

I used to climb my tower without a belt, because at the time it was only 110
feet tall.  I connected the safety belt only when I got to the top.  I had a
small 1 foot by 1 foot platform at the top and I was standing on that one
afternoon, just before dinner, for about 20 minutes, adjusting the driven
element of a beam.  When I got the dinner call, I reached down to remove the
safety belt and saw it was not attached.  To say that I got the message is a
significant understatement.

I had a very slow climb down the tower and vowed that would never happen
again.  I now have a full arrest harness and a safety belt and always have
two cables attached to the tower.

What has this to do with amplifiers?  As I get older, I tend to have the
antennas lower and run more power.

73,  Colin  K7FM