[Amps] Skin depth: silver plating of tank circuit coil feasible with che

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Skin depth: silver plating of tank circuit coil feasible with chemical plating kits?
From: LB3HC <rezycle.bin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:42:35 +0200
I am working on some loss estimates for the tank circuit of my GS35B
amp. design and I am considering if silver plating of the tank circuit
coil is feasible or not. I intend to use copper tubing intended for
camping gas installations in the tank coil(s), as it is readily
available. According to VE1ALQ's tool, the 3 times skin depth for RF
current on 10 meters wavelength is 36 Microns.  Silver plating kits
that are available on the market** typically states a plating
thickness of 70 micro inches, which is only 1,7 microns. This is 1/20
of what is necessary to have silver down to the 3 x skin depth, if my
calculations are correct.

What are your experiences with silver coated contra non coated tank coils?

Polishing the copper tubing will reduce the RF skin current resistance
according to some sources. Is this true, and in case it is, what are
the mechanisms that makes polished copper conduct better (RF) than non
polished copper?

**
http://www.cool-amp.com/product%20info/COOL-AMP%20One-page%20Info%20Sheet%20&%20inserts%20%28FINAL%2004.30.09%29.pdf

73