[Amps] 833 plate cathode capacitance

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 833 plate cathode capacitance
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 01:44:58 -0400
Finally got around to it and measured the plate to cathode capacitance.
I was quite surprised. It was as high as stated in specs. I got about 20pF but
that includes
a few pF from setup wiring.
   I thought I'd try another tube that has similar dissipation and
characteristics 304TL.
Its plate to cathode capacitance was less than a pF.
So even grounded grid operation with a 833A may not be stable with out some
neutralization.

Used spectrum analyzer and tracking generator.  Measured feed thru signal level
and calculated capacitance based on
frequency and input Z of spectrum analyzer. The grid was grounded and signal
fed to plate and cathode connected to
spectrum analyzer.

73
Bill wa4lav