Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 20:17:05 -0000
I saw a demonstration at the RSGB HF Convention:  lots of SDR receivers
around the world are scanning the whole spectrum or parts of it giving
relative signal strength readings and id for each station.  As I saw it,
although the strength readings were relative and not calibrated, several
within the same area would be on similar bearing and sky wave angle and,
knowing each of the stations, a data base can be constructed from which you
could determine that wildly large signals compared to all the neighbours
would indicate a statistical significance regarding their output power.  The
larger the number of these receiving stations there are (and they are
growing) and the more that border the obvious transgressors, the more likely
you are to catch them red-handed.  It only takes a few to produce reasonably
calibrated data to make it a powerful tool.

David
G3UNA