[Amps] Replacement of Collins bulbs in the 30S-1 amplifier (and other Co

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Replacement of Collins bulbs in the 30S-1 amplifier (and other Collins)
From: Joel Kornreich <k2qbv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:34:13 -0500
Noticed a couple of comments concerning bulbs in radio equipment.  I have a
30S-1 Collins amplifier and for a long time, I kept blowing out the dial and
two meters on the 30S-1  front panel.  If one remembers, these Collins radios
were designed around 110 volts.  In todays society radios are coming out with
120 volts.  Anyway, I changed all the pilot bulbs in my Collins from the #47 to
#51 bulb which is 7.5 volts. The higher voltage to my amplifier pushes the 6
volts up just a little and bulbs are gone. Also changed the K201 step-start
relay to 115 volts inplace of the standard 1960s 110 volts.  I'm sure this will
help a few people owning Collins from 50 years ago. Joel, K2QBV