[Amps] Dentron DTR-2000L Tank Circuit

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Dentron DTR-2000L Tank Circuit
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:57:05 -0600
Howdy,

   Recently I wanted to give a hardware facelift to my old Dentron
DTR-2000L, mostly because it is pushing 20++ years in age.   I was not
looking to do the perfect rebuild with proper protection circuits and other
but instead simply doing a component refresh and adding a little robustness
to the original component selection.

   Beefing up the power supply diodes and capacitor updates were straight
forward.  Then, for what ever reason, I decided to try a new plate choke and
also went about changing out the smaller door knob caps with some of the
Russian door knob caps of the same value.  I'm not sure where things went
wrong but the tank is all hosed up now.  160m tuning is barn door wide.
80/75 has little to no dip and the loading seems to be out in left field
somewhere.  40m and 20m are not much better but at least they show somewhat
of an expected response when dorking around with the knobs.  I didn't even
try 15m or 10M as those bands tend to cook stuff beyond repair if not close
to begin with.

   So, instead of doing a complete rip (backing out all the upgraded
components 100%), is there a simple way to see where things moved too?  I
have heard you can use an antenna analyzer for verifying the putput Z for a
given load.  Is this as straight forward as it sounds?  Any advice on how to
hammer things back to expected values for this class of desktop amp?

Thanks in advance.

73's  Mike K9MK