Re: [Amps] W3NQN bandpass filters, question.

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] W3NQN bandpass filters, question.
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:56:10 +0000
Martin Sole wrote:

> Wonder if someone here might be able to help with some info on the W3NQN
> bandpass filters. Our club station has some we are using between the rig and
> amplifier (phew, worked the amp reference in nicely there.) Somebody put the
> 20 metre one on the amp output where 200 watt filters don't live long. So
> one toasted filter. I thought this would be no problem. I have the 2 QST
> articles by W3NQN that describes these filters. BTW these are the ones sold
> by Array Solutions. Popping the cover shows they don't match the circuit of
> the QST article though so now I'm confused.

   If the coils aren't melted the only damage that I would expect is the
high Voltage damaging some of the capacitors so I would replace all of
them and test the results, then I would test (capacity and breakdown
Voltage) those taken out and save the good ones for the next time it
happens.  Get a Dymo or P-Touch and mark them all [200 Watts Max!].
--
    Ron  KA4INM - nothin's quite as sure as change
                  from "look through my window" - The Mamas & The Papas