Re: [Amps] 572B AMP PLANS

To: "Hsu" <hsu4qro@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 572B AMP PLANS
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 19:13:00 -0600
Hsu,

No idea.  I tried to kill one pair.  But there were other weakness of the amp
(or rather, the age of the amp), which caused the last
failure and pushed the amp to backup role (the ancient bandswitch).  The tubes
kept producing about the same power as when I started
working on the amp until the day I sidelined it.

I built in hour-meters for both fil hours and key-down hours but never having
finished the amp, I never did mount a set of "virgin"
tubes and reset the hour counters to do a proper study.

I can say that I have a box of 572b - operated specifically within the
recommend plate disipation, which died a slow death over
about the first 30-100 hours of key down performance.  The 572b is fine for SSB
work.  But it's fickle for more demanding duty
cycles.  If a guy is going to build an amp, why buy the 572b, when for the same
$$, he can have a pair of much tougher 572b.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com