Re: [Amps] GigaVac GH3 Vacuum Relays

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] GigaVac GH3 Vacuum Relays
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 07:24:48 -0700
  You might want to get your info from the "real" source.

http://www.gigavac.com/products/relays/datasheets/gh1_3_5/index.htm

They are NOT even close to the same relays.  You draw your own
conclusions but I am pretty sure the GH3s are SF6 gas filled and not
vacuum which is why they are NOT rated for RF service.  Both have
tungsten contacts which is what allows them to be hot switched.  Copper
contacts are much better for non-hot switched apps. because the copper
has lower resistance and heat is the enemy at high current.  However a
couple of hot switches and the copper contacts are ruined.   Relays that
are SF6 filled have actually better inrush capabilities than vacuum
relays but are not usable at RF.

See http://www.gigavac.com/apps/relays/physics/index.htm

Larry, W0QE