Re: [Amps] BVT problem

To: kk7uv@bresnan.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] BVT problem
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:59:54 EST
So what does the primary voltage measure while this is happening?

73/K5GW

In a message dated 1/9/2011 4:15:00 P.M. Central Standard Time,
kk7uv@bresnan.net writes:

Breakdown voltage tester.  Built it like the plans on AG6K (R.  Measures)
webpage.

I'm using a neon sign transformer.  Hongba  ME-1000-6000-30.  120:5000v.
Running a voltage doubler as shown by  Measures.

When running up the voltage slowly with the variac,  the output voltage from
the transformer drops out at about 600vac down to  zero.  If I run the
variac
back down to zero primary voltage and then  slowly ramp up again, the output
voltage climbs again to around 600vac and  drops out again.

The same behavior occurs hooked up to the  rectifier/doubler circuit.
Except
I measure the dropout at a  1100-1200 vdc.

So what's going on?  It's as if there's a  self-resetting breaker or limiter
somewhere and all I can guess is in the  transformer.

The specs on the transformer indicate that it has  "overload protection",
"open-circuit protection", and "earth leakage  protection."  Am I correct in
guessing that a DVM looks like an open  circuit to the transformer and it is
shutting itself off?  For that  matter, anything you test with a BVT will
have such low current that  everything would look like an open circuit.  Why
are neon transformers  touted as useful for this purpose?

Steve,  KK7UV