[Amps] Fireing up a old Tl922 amplifier.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fireing up a old Tl922 amplifier.
From: "BEHIELS JEAN-PIERRE" <ON4AEF@base.be>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:18:59 +0100
Hi,

I am busy to fireing up a old Kenwood TL922 amplifier(1985).
I have already build in a start-up system for both filament and high tension
power supplys by means of two homebrew timers,and a series small resistances in
de secundairys of both transformers(filament 10 ohm-HV 47 ohm both 50W).
Both valves are not mounted(running with no charges no consume).
By power-on the unit I saw that the resistance of 47ohm/50W into the HV supply
is becoming very hot.
I have made some measurements during start up around this resistance and
measure 47 V over this resistance.
This means that the HV power supply without charge consume 1A idling current !!!
Question is this normal ?
After the timing sequence the resistance is normally pulling out of the system
and the supply runs like it must be I suppose,nothing abnormal happens further
!!
No overheating behind the amplifier box or whatever,no smoke or burning and
heating components.
Just the 10W bleeders over the capacitors warm up a little (can easely take my
hand on it hi )
I was wondering while this is so mutch or not ?
Did I leave the amp a lot many hours under supplying condition to the give the
HV-capacitors the time to reforme after sutch long time(if this is the reason)
???
Could this last also a reason of the fenomene ?
Or is 1A just normal standby current value for this amp .....

Regards Jean ON4AEF.