Re: [Amps] Transformer-LESS advice

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer-LESS advice
From: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:44:14 -0800 (PST)
Hi John,
  I had the opportunity to examine one of those last year courtesy of the "curb
exchange".

  Many are the reasons it would not be suitable as an amplifer supply:

  There is no input filtering, so the output waveform follows the rectified
line.

  The controller IC's interface would not allow for reasonable (quick response)
closed loop operation.

  The topology is a forward converter which would not allow for a wide range of
power output.

  The transformer itself is pretty cute, wound with Litz wire.

  So...

  Add real input filtering, a soft start, change the controller, install an H
bridge of FET's or IGBT's and their drivers, include some feedback from the
secondary side and one would have a KW (but, only a KW!) supply suitable for
perhaps a pair of 813's or 4cx250's.

  Note that the only usable parts are the input rectifier, output rectifiers,
and the transformer.

  Or just give the thing to a friend for use as a Microwave Oven and build
something more apropos from scratch.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W 310 649 3111