Re: [Amps] 'heat spreader' sizing ??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 'heat spreader' sizing ??
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@f2s.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:36:11 +0000
>>> Both Freescale and NXP discuss mounting the latest high power
>>> devices in application notes. For example, see NXP #10800 para. 2.5.
>> Sorry, that should be AN10858.
>>
>> www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN10858.pdf
>>
> To me they look kinda impractical for linear techniques and particularly
> at HF.
> A 1200 watt transistor to get an average of 200 out?
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

Certainly wasted at hf, and I'd have worries about ruggedness at
lower frequencies. Its a 1200W transistor for 1200W peak out with
digital radio or TV signals, which have a lower average power -
but you need some linearity and headroom to keep the IMD under
control.

There's lots of info. from N1DPM on a cw version for 144MHz on the
VK4DD forum. That thread is currently public without needing to
register (it's free) at http://www.vk4dd.com/forum/

Steve