[Amps] 811A vs 572B

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 811A vs 572B
From: Hal W5GHZ <w5ghz@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:44:09 -0800 (PST)
My AL811H just went into VHF parasitic oscillation and took out a brand new set
of 811A's, plate choke, several capacitors and a couple of resistors and the
fuses.  This is the second time this has happened.  Guess it is time to rebuild
this amp from the ground up with all of the new parasitic supression techniques
and an enhanced power supply (six filter caps instead of four).  I will also be
putting in the 572B's.

I have an old Heathkit SB200 and with new tubes and it easily puts out 900
watts into a 50 ohm dummy load with the currents all in spec.  However, I run
it at 600 watts.  The AL-811H used to run 800 watts until it started acting
like a two meter MPO.

Hal W5GHZ