Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 Pics

To: "damon stewart" <wsmc551@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 Pics
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:02:35 -0500
Very nice and its easy to spot the lineage right back to the vintage 274
model.

Is that an Ameritron plate choke?

They have made a few changes over the years and its nice to see them trying
to address the weak link bandswitch that also goes back to the 274. Doubling
up on the high current wafers, and flat strap everywhere instead of braid,
shows that they read the various amplifier forums. Even using more nylon
washers in order to minimize the arc path to the support hardware is a good
move but for the money they charge you would think that Electroswitch would
supply Teflon.

What is with that switch section where they use 2 ceramic spacers seperated
with a pile of washers? Some sort of torque absorber? Id expect that from
Dentron.

On the 76PA I recently replaced the bandswitch in (as well as other makes
and models that blow them at the same place) I covered the steel mounting
screw threads with liquid polystyrene ( Q Dope) and then coated the external
ceramic spacers, wafer and nylon washers junctions with more.

Its good to hear that the EBC is working, its something to take a look at
for some HB projects using big tetrodes running lots of idle current.

Carl
KM1H