Re: [Amps] VTX-X118 Tetrode mytery tube?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] VTX-X118 Tetrode mytery tube?
From: Damon Stewart <wsmc551@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:08:50 -0700
On 4/4/2011 1:38 AM, KL7RA wrote:
> Originally the new AP8410 used the Eimac 4CX1000A tubes but they made a
> switch to the VTX-X118. Seem to be a mystery tube, can't find the spec sheet
> and never heard of them.
>
> Anyone know anything about this tube? My guess is Alpha used the 4CX1000A
> but got them with a higher grid rating?  It looks like this tube number is an
> Alpha
> part number to me.
>
> 73 Rich KL7RA   Alpha amp owner
>
> > From Alpha:
> The amplifier uses the Alpha Power brand VTX-X118 tubes, a ceramic,
> external-anode,
>   indirectly heated tetrode that, unlike the excellent Eimac 4CX1000A, is
> qualified to handle
> the grid current that might be experienced in the AP8410.

For what its worth.  The most grid current I have ever seen out of my
8410, even when testing its limits, has been less then 1mA.   In the
serial data string the grid current is read in tenths of a mA.  I
usually see somewhere in the 0.2mA to 0.5mA range with CW output well
over LL.

 From many of the reports I have seen and my own testing,  the VTX-X118
seems to be a slightly improved Chinese version of the Eimac 4cx1000a.

Damon Stewart, KJ7E