Re: [Amps] Alpha vs Henry

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha vs Henry
From: "Shane Youhouse" <kd6vxi@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:08:34 -0700
My main amp at the ham shack is a 1kw continuous, all mode.  NO time
limit.  It's commonly pushed to 1.5 kw on the amateur bands by people
smarter than me....

It's also got a 3.5 KVA choke input power supply.  1000 watts of Pdiss,
single tube.

The choke input supply is nice, but as VE7RF (and others) pointed out,
VERY heavy.  The Harris tips the scales at over 300 pounds.

When you figure in the extra power supply for the exciter, the exciter
itself, this thing is about equal to a large collins xmitter, a desk kw,
etc.  And similar power class.

It also bears mentioning that the Harris makes a great stand for the
SB220..  And the power output difference in minimal for another 2-300
wstts out.  Granted, the SB220 is NOT continuous duty, all mode..  BUT,
you could still DOUBLE the weight of the SB220, and have a LOT more
manageable amp.  Working on the Harris involves bringing the soldering
iron, meter(s), etc. down to the floor and working on it there.  The
heathkit, when it required new bypass caps, etc (thanks again Carl), I
could easily pick it up, put it on the bench, move it around to get to
parts easily, etc.  Having worked on both amps, I'd keep it in mind.  The
Harris would be a LOT nicer if it where like a Henry, where the supply and
deck could be split.

Maybe someday I'll get into RTTY...  It would be great for that mode :)

--Shane
KD6VXI

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 08:21:47 -0700, Damon Stewart <wsmc551@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 4/4/2011 7:44 PM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:

It's a sad state of affairs when your tubes don't have handles but your
dummy load does.