[Amps] RF in the shack

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] RF in the shack
From: kf8od@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 18:53:37 -0400 (EDT)
I wanted to share my recent battle with rf getting into everything in the
house.  One day out of the blue my audio was completely distorted on 20m
running my Henry 4k ultra. Running 100 watts there was no problem. I was into
everything that plugged into an outlet. I checked all the connections and
grounds and the usual suspects but no change. Finally one day I tried running
the amp again and noticed this single lamp 3' fluorescent fixture under a shelf
was lighting up bright purple. This fixture has been there for 15 years and
never a problem. I took the bulb out and unplugged the fixture from the wall.
Fired up the amp had my wife by the tv and nothing was heard! I put the bulb
back in and plugged the light in and all the problems returned. What a relief
to figure this one out! The light is below eye view so I did not notice it
before. I can't explain why rf was loving this light all of a sudden? Food for
thought.

73, Mike
KF8OD