Re: [Amps] GU-84B Conversion (Re-thought)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] GU-84B Conversion (Re-thought)
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:57:27 -0400
On 4/13/2011 8:31 PM, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/13/2011 8:22:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> km1h@jeremy.mv.com writes:
>
> If you  can find PL-175A's they will equal a 3-500Z watt for  watt..
>

> Carl, I know you have a few years on me, so when I came on the scene the
> 3-500's were so popular that the PL-175A tubes were history by then. Sure, I
> have tried 4-400's in place of 3-500's so I know that they work OK in GG
> with a  little less gain.  I have never tried a PL-175.   As I recall  didn't
> Hallicrafters make an amp with that tube?  I looked up the 175 and  it seems
> it is a tetrode.  When you mentioned it before, did you mean "watt  for
> watt" in GG or AB1?

Hallicrafters sold the HT33A and HT33B which are different iterations of
the same amp. They used the PL172/8295A which was a glass/metal external
anode pentode with a 1 KW anode dissipation.  The anode is quite large
with a coarse fin structure making them easy to cool without a lot of
back pressure.  The PL172 with the glass to metal seals tend towards
getting gassy and particularly so if they just set around.  There is
also a straight 8295A which is the ceramic/metal version of the same
tube.  IIRC they are almost double the size of the 8877 and tested used
ones may bring more than a new 8877. They are easily worth more than the
price of the HT33B.  They were brining $2400 USD for a tested and
guaranteed used one a couple years back.

Tested good used ones (without the guarantee) are considerably cheaper,
but OTOH still expensive.

73

Roger (K8RI)