[Amps] Question #2: 4-125A linear amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Question #2: 4-125A linear amplifier
From: Robert Groh <rgroh@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 19:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
OK here I am really going to tempt the gods with a strange idea of a 'classic'
medium power amplifier using one or two of my 4-125A tubes - HF, window in the
front so I can watch the tube plate(s) glow, driven by a CE 20A exciter.  Maybe
just a couple of bands, maybe one band. Couple of ideas already in hand from
past issues of QST (I haven't had a chance to prowl through the old Handbooks).

So again I'm here with hat in hand - soliciting all thoughts on the idea (I
already know there are many better tube choices today as well as solid state
amplifiers but let's stick with the 4-125As).  Pointers to reference articles,
ideas, things not to do (again excluding the idea of NOT using a 4-125A!), etc.

I would definitely provide warmup delay, adjustable (and monitored) filament
voltage, cool down delay. Other protection?  Really thinking about using it as
grid driven tetrode amplifier.

73
Bob, WA2CKY