[Amps] testing a big amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] testing a big amp
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 18:06:24 -0600
A TH628 double-ended tetrode ("Diacrode") has been purring along all day
heating a water load with 26 kV plate voltage, and 110 amps of plate current.
At 200 MHz, it's been
quite a leap, average power today was 180 kW in the load, 2 MW peak in pulses.
A little RF leakage was causing havoc before, now fixed. On Monday, it'll
stretch out with around
250 kW average, based on the good test results today, Friday, the 13th. I'm
posting this AFTER testing - worried about even trying today. Me, superstitious?
I remember being nervous about dipping the plate too slowly on a 3-500Z at full
voltage in my SB220 years ago. This monster makes me jumpy when someone closes
a book or drags a chair
around the test bench... Is been an experience not to forget, for this ham.
73
John
K5PRO