Re: [Amps] 3cx400A7 and 8877

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3cx400A7 and 8877
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 00:51:03 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for the input, it's really helpful.

With respect to the 8874.  At first I was under the impression that the 8874
and the 3cx800a7 were interchangeable except for the heater voltage, the 8874
being 6.3 and the 3cx800 being 13.5.   When I checked the data sheet to make
sure I noticed the absolute max voltage of the eimac 8874 listed as 2200 VDC
with a working voltage of 2000, while the absolute max on the 3cx800 is listed
as 3500 with a working voltage of 2250.

So...they don't seem to be completely drop in replacements of each other, at
least going from the "big one" to the little one, but man they sure look the
same on the outside!

I was talking with another ham today who is also tube knowledgeable and he
thought the same as I, that they were completely interchangeable save the
heater.

Am I being paranoid here, should I just go with the full PS rather than putting
in the buck transformer?

Paul