[Amps] Powering up a linear after years of non use

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Powering up a linear after years of non use
From: "Iain" <Iain@g4dpf.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 20:37:57 +0100
Good afternoon All

I have recently acquired a 4cx250B linear from Frontier Electronics LA-2
2metre Linear Amp.

It hasn't had any volts on it for years.

I have a large mains variac that I use to run up my homebrew stuff but how
should I use it to run up this old linear...should I disconnect all the
supplies to the valve first ?

what sort of mains supply voltage should I start at and how long should I
take before I get it up to our 240vac mains input ?

Tnx in anticipation

Iain G4DPF