Re: [Amps] What is the meaning of ACVFD ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What is the meaning of ACVFD ?
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:33:07 -0400
On 7/2/2011 3:17 PM, Paul Kraemer wrote:
> AC Variable Frequency Drive
> An electronic motor control that rectifies incoming line voltage (single or
> 3 phase) to provide a dc buss voltage (approximately 350vdc for a 230vac
> drive) which is supplied to a "six pack" array of power devices (transistors
> or fets) which is controlled by microprocessor to synthesize a pwm 3 phase
> output to a motor.

I've been told not depend on the solid state 3 phase converters to run
much of a motor.  When you get up to a lathe or mill a rotary converter
works much better and of course costs many times more. <sigh>   For a 7
HP lathe it takes a 15 to 20 HP rotary converter. (run 2 to 3 times the
rating of the load)  Too bad too as the solid state converter is a few
hundred dollars while the rotary converter is $2,000 or more.

73

Roger (K8RI)