Re: [Amps] What's wrong here- dropping resistor for DC meter?

To: Ed Heimbach <supermechanic18360@yahoo.com>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What's wrong here- dropping resistor for DC meter?
From: Robert Groh <rgroh@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 07:28:39 -0700 (PDT)
As other's have noted, you should NOT have a non-linear response (assuming the
meter itself is linear).  Couple of thoughts occur to me:

1.  Note that resistors have a breakdown voltage themselves (depends on the
type
of resistor).  Usually you can find the working voltage maximum on the
manufacturer's data sheet (or a data sheet of a comparable resistor).  A
typical
number that sticks in my head for a 1/2 watt resistor is 500 WVDC.  On that
basis you should have at least 10 resistors in series.

2.  Obviously you need to know, and factor in, the value of the meter
resistance.  You can measure that on the bench with a bit of care.

3.  Knowing all of this, you can figure out a way to adjust the string for
calibration. Details TBD - a variable resistor across the meter (say, with a
nominal mid-point value of 4x the meter resistance).

4.  Watch your power dissipation in the resistors!  Be very conservative - I do
not like to run my resistors at over 1/4 of their rating.

5.  Obviously watch the resistor tolerance.

6.  And, finally (bet you never thought this would end!), make sure your basic
meter is linear!

Have fun!

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY