[Amps] GS35b FWB issue

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] GS35b FWB issue
From: "David H Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 00:10:05 -0400
    I lost a diode string on an 8x4 string 1N5408 FWB on my single GS35b 6m HB
amp.  To whit, 8 5408s per leg of a FWB for a total of 32 diodes.  Presumably a
lightening strike / blown lightening arrestor, but now I wonder.
    I replaced the diodes on the blown string & tested again- worked fine with
just HV trans running to the bridge.  Then, put back together w/ cap bank-
blown fuse again & no solid HV.  Checked again, another leg of the FWB blown.
Replaced those 8 5408s & tried again with the cap bank inline. Ergo, another
string was blown.  Replaced them, and then tested with just HV & the FWB.  No
problem.  Then connected the cap bacn (overkill, 12 x 450V in series, nominal
800 MFD Mallories w/ 6 x 27k ohm Rs across each cap) WITHOUT the RF deck
connected, and another audible glitch.  Tested all the 5408s in the bank, and 3
of the (just) replaced diodes show x Meg ohm in the WRONG direction (yes, I
tested all before & after installation before poweup).  All the rest were fine.
 Then, tested each cap in the 12 x 800 MFD bank, and discovered nothing (none
shorted), but on a hunch, tried to tighten each screw, and low and behold,
after 2+ years in service, EVERY screw needed 1/8 to 1/4 turn
 to get tight.  Question:  Could the combined losening of the screws create
enough resistance to draw enough current to blow a diode string in the FWB?  I
have checked everything else in the PS, and the common denominator seems to be
the cap bank.  Am I missing something?

    Without load at least, the high current relay works 100% & the HV
soft-start relay is working 100% as is the 24 volt ps that works the relay.
The 2 second TDR that controls the soft-start is similarly fine.

    The 250ohm 50w B- float resistor is also fine (tested).

    Having isolated the problem to the HV supply, I am baffled.  I plan to
replace the now-bad diodes, again, but am not sanguine it will work, and I am
running out of 5408s...  I don't want to waste bigger diode blocks on this if
they'll short too.

    Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

    73 Dave N3DB