Re: [Amps] 4-1000a GG conversion

To: "Ed Heimbach" <supermechanic18360@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4-1000a GG conversion
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:22:17 -0400
Thats far from pushing it, if anything the tube is soft, the circuitry is
inefficient or its not loaded all the way. At 4KV 1500W is easy and there
are many still getting full power on a BC band pull 20-30 years later.

First thing Id do is measure the filament voltage at the socket with the
tube lit; no HV necessary. It should be 7.5VAC RMS +0/-5 %  for long life.
If its really soft you can increase it a bit at a time untill its ready to
retire. Some have gone as far as 9V over several years!

Carl
KM1H