Re: [Amps] SB221 Low Output

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB221 Low Output
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:24:10 -0400
Alex DV1TBX Barbon wrote:

> I am working with an SB221 amp, can't get the power output to go higher than
> 400watts either AM or SSB voice peak. The tube is confirm good from a
> working amp.

> Here is my reading

> *20m, AM mode ( no modulation )

> *Plate current = 680mA
> Grid current = 180mA
> HV= 2750V SSB
> Drive = 90~100watts
> Output = 450watts

   I don't know anything about SSB, (what ever that is) but with 25 - 30 Watts
of drive you should
get about 350 Watts (carrier only) out of it, it looks (to me) like you are
over driving it a lot.
That is the legal maximum, pretty much.
     Are you using a peak reading Watt meet of known accuracy?
--
    Ron  KA4INM - Ifen my mother in law were to boil water
                  it would taste funny ... Earl Pitts 9-1-11