Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:35:48 -0400
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:04 PM

> On 9/24/2011 9:47 AM, Mitch Cox wrote:
>> *You do not need to convince the Ogre, who by the way, is simply
>> having too much fun trying to make you look like a moron by expounding
>> his ignorance on the subject. *
>
> The one of whom you speak reminds me of the observation that a certain
> guy had "a mind like a steel trap -- rusted shut."  I long ago stopped
> wasting my time with folks like that. It's like arguing with a drunk.
>
> Thanks for the encouragement, but don't run away.  I'm certainly not --
> my delete key works too well.
>
> For those who might believe the premise that the coaxial chokes I've
> described are un-tested in the real world, nothing could further from
> the truth.  I'm a member of a major contesting club, most of whose
> members run high power and do so for a long time at a crack. These
> coaxial chokes have been in widespread use by our members on a wide
> variety of antennas for more than four years, and I have yet to receive
> a nastygram telling me that their chokes fried.  And the word has long
> since spread to other contesters.
>
> The bifilar designs are somewhat less robust with respect to power
> handling, and you'll find caveats in my applications notes about using
> them where they will see high common mode voltages. An example would be
> an off-center fed antenna like a Windom, which is well known to fry
> common mode chokes at even modest power levels because the common mode
> voltage is very high.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

There is certainly nothing new under the sun about a transmission line balun
(I hope that you are not claiming discovery) but why anyone would want to
connect one between an amp and a tuner is hard for me to understand.

Now if you connected it directly between the amp and OWL or between the
tuner and OWL that would at least be a start in your understandings. You
also havent mentioned the details of this balun on here.

But you seem to have suddenly danced to a 1:1 coaxial balun when the
discussion has been about OWL feedlines which are generally connected to an
"allband" dipole. I doubt very many of your contest buddies are using those
antennas wheras it might be quite common on this forum.

I also see absolutely no benefit in a 1:1 balun such as you describe
compared to a line of beads over a coax cable between rig and amp and amp
and coax feedline.
 Enlighten me why someone would want to waste money at DXE when they can
make their own much simpler AND cheaper. If one closely examples many DXE
offerings it appears to be snake oil with a certain person behind the
"design".

I enjoyed the moronic prose of your lap puppy, W4COX, so much Im still
laughing. If someone who has yet to offer any useful amp advice since he has
been on the forum is your target audience I can see why we are having
difficulty communicating.

If you want to get my and many others attention do as Rob suggested. And
then place your magic balun at various points along the OWL feeders and
crank in 1500W. At some points it likely wont self destruct.

Carl
KM1H