Re: [Amps] Hi pot test - normal leakage current of vacuum cap

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hi pot test - normal leakage current of vacuum cap
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 17:12:38 -0600
  Is your Hi-Pot tester a DC tester or does it have some AC on it?  The
reactance of 1000pF at 50Hz is 3.2M ohm and a 10kV rms (14kV peak) AC
only Hi-Pot would result in 3.1mA due to the capacitive reactance only.
The 50uA you are seeing could easily be due to some small AC ripple on
your tester.

73,
Larry, W0QE