Re: [Amps] HIGHWAY LOUIE

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HIGHWAY LOUIE
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:05:28 -0500
On 11/22/2011 9:11 AM, k7fm wrote:
> Just ran into an article in the May 1952 issue of CQ.  W6RL installed a
> teletype model 12 into his 1952 Chevy Carryall.  A seperate Kohler "light
> plant" was also installed in the back.  BC-348 receiver and 813 transmitter
> running 300 watts was the transmitter.
>
> The 80 meter whip is 40 feet.  The article says he did operate while in
> motion.  (maybe less overpasses in those days).
52? Overpasses?   There was a whole lot less of everything back then. I
don't think they'd even started on the Interstate Highway system yet so
there were many areas of highways in the middle of the country and
mountainous states where he could have used that antenna. "I'd guess"
though that his use of that antenna mobile was actually quite limited.

  There would have been few over passes and virtually none of the type
we see on the expressways.  BUT he'd have wanted to travel them first as
every once in a while you'd find overhead power lines. Sometimes they
were pretty low and difficult to spot till you were right up to them.
We also had few of the huge high tension transmission lines you see
today.  Cars had not reached the gargantuan size of the 60's and 70's
either. Course anything with 30 to 50 thousand miles was considered worn
our.

BTW a good B&W Television with a little screen cost as much as today's
50 or 60" HDTV...or more in some instances for a not so great picture
quality.  The new huge CRTs gad reached a whole, monstrous 21". <:-))
They had a horizontal sweep oscillator you could sometimes hear for a
half mile or more and it might have harmonics up to 40 meters.

73

Roger (K8RI)