Re: [Amps] Sweep Tube Amps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sweep Tube Amps
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:45:48 -0500
On 11/22/2011 9:59 PM, Ken wrote:
> Now..now...A sweep tube amp was the first amp I ever built....Most of the
> parts came out of two TV sets and the rest I got out of an old AM
> radio...Hummm I've still got that thing somewhere.
I guess I couldn't call my first transmitter an amp, but it did use a
pair of 6L6's in the final.
6AG7 driving a pair of 6L6's  built on an old TV chassis.  I kept the TV
power supply which took up one
corner of the chassis and the transmitter another.  I used a 12AT7 as a
TR switch so I was operating QSK
as a novice. It was big, ugly, had lots of sharp corners and
projections, but it worked...after I discovered
most of the resistors I had used were wire wound. Replacing them with
carbon composition worked wonders!<:-))
All those sharp corners kept it from sliding off tables too. As much as
it weighed with that big steel chassis
I doubt slipping would have been much of a problem without the sharp
corners.

Then there was the little Dentron GLA-1000B which used a passel of sweep
tubes. (6 IIRC) It wasn't that great an amp
but it did work. I drove it with the little Kenwood solid state rig back
around 1980. I forget the model number
other than I think it ended in a "30". Rig was only 3 or 4 inches high.
Twas a little larger than the current
Icom 7000.

73

Roger (K8RI)