Re: [Amps] Estimating CCS, I CAS, Plate Dissipation by Eyeball 4-400A

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Estimating CCS, I CAS, Plate Dissipation by Eyeball 4-400As
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 20:53:47 -0600
Quoting Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>:

> If say, the Modulators were dissapating  400 watts each, and bright
> orange,  how many watts, would you guess the RR PAs were dissapating?

Class A  ( modulators running less than 50% efficiency )
With zero modulation, they are going to always show some color
Full modulation they will get bright.

Class C  ( RF amps in AM service )  running 70% efficiency
with zero modulation, will turn grey.

Plate voltage on the RF tubes vary from 1 x hv with no modulation
and between 0 x hv to 2 x hv depending on modulation percentage.

Trying to run a full killowatt in AM commercial service in the 60s
with a quad of 4-400s ... You had to replace the tubes every 12 months
@ $200 for the four.

They were standing on their tip-toes to make a KW out, but tubes were cheap.

The RFs would last a couple of months longer than the modulators.

Really cheap stations would move the RF tubes to the modulators and
put in new $100 RF tubes and get another couple of months service
before modulation would drop below 90%.

To answer the question, if the modulators were dissipating 400 watts,
the RFs were probably averaging 300 watts per tube.

Don W4DNR