Re: [Amps] Q-value of a plate tank

To: "Mikael Larsmark" <mike@sm3wmv.com>, "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Q-value of a plate tank
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 10:30:41 +0100
The Q-value of a complete pi-tank circuit can be solved
by ordinary circuit theory by modeling the circuit
as a transducer between the resistive plate impedance
of the final tube and a 50 ohm port.

An expression can then be derived that approximately relates the voltage
reflection coefficient rho as seen looking into the network from the load
end to circuit Q.

This expression is:

Q = (1/2)*(fo/|f1-f2|)*SQR(((1/(1-rho))^2)-1)

where fo is the center frequency of the network, f1 is the higher frequency
for a given rho and f2 is the lower frequency.

SWR is related to rho as rho = SWR-1/SWR+1

This expression only holds for reasonably symmetrical
response curves, which implies that both the circuit Q must be above about
10 and that the frequency excursions should not be toolarge.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM