Re: [Amps] tetrode reverse screen grid current,

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tetrode reverse screen grid current,
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:47:41 -0800 (PST)
I would be most interested to see what circuitry Racal came up with.

In the early 1970s I was responsible for the maintenance of a number a TA184
10kW auto-tune HF

transmitters. These used a 4CX10000D with 7500V on the plate and 1200V on the
screen, driven

by a 4CX350A which used the 1200V for its plate supply (all IIRC!). One of them
had a plate to

screen short at one point, and whatever circuitry they employed did not work.
The 7.5kV took

out literally everything on the 1200V rail including the driver stage, power
supply and associated

circuitry. The transmitter was not quite a write-off but it took weeks and
weeks to get it operational again.
I was never involved with the TA1800 and any later designs but presumably they
were better.

73 Roger
VE3ZI