[Amps] Bleeders

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Bleeders
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:19:48 -0700
For the big power supply for my TH628 amplifier, 28 kV with 225 uF, do not use
a high power bleeder. It is a pulsed amplifier, so we need all the current we
can get, during each mS long pulse. There is a slow trickle bleeder (meter
multiplier) along with capacitor leakage current, which can take a long time to
discharge.
The normal bleed down is a string of very long Carborundum 2 K resistors in
series, dropped by a big Ross HV relay across the terminals, followed a couple
seconds later by another Ross HV relay that is a hard short to ground. Then, to
open the door, there are additional switches as well as big long chicken sticks
that are used to touch the output. Along with this goes a mountain of paperwork
and training to satisfy even OSHA. The relay timing is all done automatically,
so as not to drop before the HV charging supply is off. Reverse is true on turn
on.

73
John
K5PRO