Re: [Amps] Pi-Output Tank Component Voltages?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pi-Output Tank Component Voltages?
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:06:20 -0600
Mike,

Not sure how seriously you want to understand everything but here is
what I believe is one of the better ways to do it.

1.) Go to http://tonnesoftware.com and download Jim's PI-EL software.
It runs fine on WinXP and Win7.  The program is totally free.
2.) If you really only want to analyze a Pi network and not a PI-L then
use the same intermediate impedance value as the load and the program
will only generate a PI network.  Uou control the plate voltage swing,
Q, etc. of the network.
3.) Download the free LTSpice program from
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/ which is also a totally free
program and runs on all Windows platforms and is one of the best free
programs available PERIOD!  You can learn more with LTSpice than you
could ever imagine.
4.) Use the PI-EL program to write a Spice file and then use LTSPice to
analyze every voltage and current for a given network.
5.) To analyze effects of various impedances for a 2:1 SWR use 25+j0,
100+j0, 40+j30, and 40-j30 (which are all 2:1 equally spaced SWRs in a
50 ohm system) in the PI-EL program.  You will be able to see what
component values are needed and what voltage and current differences
there are.

This may sound like a lot of work but this problem would only require
about 10 minutes once you are familiar with the programs.  This will
give you real data and not just "seat of the pants" guesses.

73,
Larry, W0QE