[Amps] lk-450NTC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] lk-450NTC
From: "ko1h" <ko1h@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 03:28:20 -0000
Hi all,  Just acquired a lk-450ntc.  Had some trouble getting the tube to light
but then all was well for a few days.  ( I did a stupid when trying to get the
tube to light and will have a nice scare on my left pinky to tell tales about)
But be that as it may.  After getting the tube to light (Friday last)  I hooked
it up and was getting power out on 75 into a dummy load and antenna.  Didn't
mess with it for a few days turned it on tonight and a few seconds after
hitting the power switch I got a pop in and I think I saw an arc in the rf
compartment.

Figuring heck this happens ( I used to own a few sb220/1's that loved to bang
everyonce in a while) I kept the amp in standby verified that the exciter was
turned down enough and the swr to the antenna was good and fired it up.  Well
SWR back to the radio when the amp is keyed to goes through the  roof and the
idle plate current in the amp drops to zero.  Placing the amp in standby and
through to the antenna a just fine.  Tube is lit.  2900v on the meter for idle
dc voltage.  Relay can be heard engaging.

Due to this thing biting me last week ( my own stupid) had it turned on and
touched it with the covers off I know luck I'm here)  I've got it unplugged and
sitting for the night before I take the covers off.

Any place I should start to look?

Perhaps reseating the tube.  The socket on this thing does not please me and
will likely get replaced eventually.
Relay?
Glitch resistor on the tub?

Anything else?  (aka the reason I'm posting this most people know more/better
than I do. )

Thanks de John ko1h