Re: [Amps] PIV requirements for identical, individual diodes

Subject: Re: [Amps] PIV requirements for identical, individual diodes
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:18:08 -0400
Gene,
That was true for the old diodes before the 80's or so. I can't remember
when the modern ones came on the market.

The diodes today have an avalanche region that is similar to a zener diode
across the reverse junction that will start to conduct when reverse voltage
reaches a certain level. It will not handle a lot of current, off hand I
seem to remember 20 microamps. If one diode conducts sooner than others in
the string it will not allow the reverse voltage  of that diode to reach a
level that will damage it. The reverse voltage will just be a little higher
on each of the other diodes in the string and since they are all in series
the reverse current will be negligible in all diodes.

With modern diodes it is recommended NOT to put resistors across them as
that can upset the reverse current balance and force excessive reverse
current on an individual diode.

A good way to test diodes is with a hi-pot tester. Crank the voltage up
until you read 1 or 2 microamps and note the voltage. That is the start of
the reverse current avalanche conduction point.
It is not a bad idea to check all diodes that way before putting them into a
supply. I have found a few that were flakey with varying reverse current at
a lower voltage than they were rated for. Usually a 1kv piv diode is good
for anywhere from 1100 to 1300 volts and some consistently higher.

Diodes that have unequal reverse breakdown points are usually not a problem
if they are not too far apart as they will never conduct in normal
operation. For there to be reverse current of any significance  in one diode
there must be reverse current in all in the string as they are in series.

Normal leakage reverse current below the breakdown voltage will be in the
low pico amps in a good diode.

73
Gary  K4FMX