Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: AnyOpinions ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: AnyOpinions ?
From: "Cliff K3LL" <K3LL@EEContent.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:22:09 -0700
>>  However, modern SS manufacturers are usually very responsible when it
comes to putting out EOL (end of life) notices for devices well in advance.

"usually" is the operative word.  The problem is that not all manufacturers
are very good at this (ST and Analog Devices come to mind).  The problem
gets worse if you don't by the components directly from the mfr.  Even if
you buy through distribution, you are very likely to miss the EOL notice.
Standard practice is to allow for 6 months after notice is issued for Last
Time Buy (LTB).  Usually the EOL issue is not with a key part in the system,
but a part in a "supporting role".  Then there is the issue of PCN (Product
Change Notification), when a datasheet value is changed, which may also
require a redesign.

73,

Cliff K3LL