Re: [Amps] Why are we building amps rather then transmitters? (Tubes vs.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why are we building amps rather then transmitters? (Tubes vs. Solid State)
From: Dan Mills <dmills@exponent.myzen.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 22:35:00 +0100
On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 16:06 -0500, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> Good luck fixing it when it breaks.  Or maybe you handle 100 pin chips
> a lot better than I do.

100 pins, meh, that is what ChipQuick (VERY low melting point solder) is
for (Or cut all the leads away from the package, clean up and fit the
new part, but ChipQuick is easier and faster).

Quad flat packs are really not as scary as you might think, BGAs are a
pain in the bum, so don't do that!

Seriously, SMT with even close to reasonable tools is not a big deal at
this scale, not all of it is mobile phone component sized, and down to
at least 0603 is usually not a problem by hand.

I actually have more problems with things like SOT-23 parts then I do
with 240 pin gate arrays, simply because you loose the SOT-23 if you
sneeze!

Regards, Dan.