Re: [Amps] The power of an oversized electrolytic capacitor /

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The power of an oversized electrolytic capacitor /
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:25:21 -0400
For you folks that go on and on and on abt diminishing returns,  why don’t
you toss the arrl book in the trash..and find out for yourselves.

later... Jim   VE7RF

Since that is the only part of your statement that isnt a steady
repeat....youre starting to remind me of Rich....here is my reply.

At say 2500VDC a 25V ripple is only 1%. Who can hear it, even as an AM
linear? Sure another 10X reduction looks nice on a scope but our ears arent
so sensitive.

Its the same with an audio amp, to a speaker or as a modulator. If the low
level input signal is clean so will the output even if the ripple isnt as
good in the amp.

IMD reduces a bit as regulation improves but how much?  Ive asked you this
many times but never an answer.

With most store bought amps having 8-12% idle current  to full PEP
regulation how much IMD improvement is there in each 1% improvement? The few
tests Ive done here using the eyeball and then the Peak Hold method on the
SA while inputting a voice track into the exciter shows under 1dB using a
TS-940 and TS-950SD which have excellent IMD to start with....sometimes
better than the amps published specs.

It also tells me what the RF speech processor contributes at various
settings. I now have Ragchew and Pileup settings (-;

Carl
KM1H