Re: [Amps] [ham_amplifiers] Re: Sensible filter Cap sizing

To: <ham_amplifiers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [ham_amplifiers] Re: Sensible filter Cap sizing
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:05:07 +0930
Nah Jim; although 60 uF is plenty adequate to achieve more than ample
regulation and low ripple on the B+ plate supply, a 116 uF reservoir
capacitance is at the upper limit of what I reckon is sensible, and is
erring on the side of overkill and pandering to the lunatic fringe and
purists :-)

The HV transformers in Rex's two versions of DX3 amplifier have serious
gravitas with massive kVA proportions comprising heavy Cu wire gauge on the
primary and secondary windings that's akin to fencing wire; plus there's a
huge core/window area to yield superb xfmr performance.

With a stiff no-sagging AC mains feed from the building's distribution
panel, the B+ rail DC voltage will hardly quiver at full rated load.

Increasing the C in these amplifiers to the excessive values you suggest
will yield no practical benefit in these already well designed amplifiers.

By way of comparison we can note the Ameritron flagship AL1500 amp has only
26 uF or 33 uF (depending on year of manufacture) of B+ filter capacitance.

Squeezing an extra hundred watts or so Pout in a large multi-kilowatt output
amplifier due to the hugely increased Joules of stored energy and stiffer B+
are neither here nor there.  It's a case of erroneous Fool's Gold logic.

Cheers,

Leigh
VK5KLT