Re: [Amps] vl2000

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <lists@subich.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] vl2000
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:24:51 -0500
  I was on the early list for one of these.  Cindy could/would never take my
order because of the pricing issue.  But the street rumor was about 10 were
delivered to select customers stateside.

  IMHO, there is probably more to the story than just cost.  The timing of
Motorola spinning Yaesu off from Vertex is probably another.   On the
technical side, I suspect the latest developments and application of LDMOS
and other high power KW level devices available in a single package is
subtle factor too, as why would you want to ship a new product using older
device technology that is probably takes everal X the components to do what,
for example, a pair of MRF6VP11KH class LD-MOS parts could do in the same
circuit, and at a much lower cost.

Mike
K9MK